Low expectations
I think society's expectations have gotten too low.
I was in my Antitrust Analysis class yesterday and my professor was talking about when he worked for the President (Clinton, not our idiot king). He said something along the lines of "I remember being impressed that he actually read my reports."
I think we should expect people, especially the leader of the free world, to actually read up on topics that concern them, I mean otherwise, why do it?
Another example is the advertisement for True.com, a dating site.

It says "we screen for felons and marrieds." (emphasis added). If the most you hope for from dating is that the people you meet are not secretly married and not felons, you have set your expectations too low. I can just imagine these people: "My hubby is the best man in the world, he was acquitted of serial arson." Also "marrieds" isn't even a God-damned word!
Apparently what they don't screen for is weird agoraphobic chicks who, instead of getting dressed, spy on the outside world and can asparagus in their basements.
Take flying: I expect comfortable seats, less wait time, not catching a disease, an just a little snack when I fly. (These are middle, not even high expectations). I feel like airlines think we should expect nothing more than not crashing . . . and even that may one day become a luxury that costs an extra $25.
Mediocre is the new fantastic.
I was in my Antitrust Analysis class yesterday and my professor was talking about when he worked for the President (Clinton, not our idiot king). He said something along the lines of "I remember being impressed that he actually read my reports."
I think we should expect people, especially the leader of the free world, to actually read up on topics that concern them, I mean otherwise, why do it?
Another example is the advertisement for True.com, a dating site.

It says "we screen for felons and marrieds." (emphasis added). If the most you hope for from dating is that the people you meet are not secretly married and not felons, you have set your expectations too low. I can just imagine these people: "My hubby is the best man in the world, he was acquitted of serial arson." Also "marrieds" isn't even a God-damned word!
Apparently what they don't screen for is weird agoraphobic chicks who, instead of getting dressed, spy on the outside world and can asparagus in their basements.
Take flying: I expect comfortable seats, less wait time, not catching a disease, an just a little snack when I fly. (These are middle, not even high expectations). I feel like airlines think we should expect nothing more than not crashing . . . and even that may one day become a luxury that costs an extra $25.
Mediocre is the new fantastic.

3 Comments:
Silly Dan - that's not an "agoraphobic chick... spying on the outside world"! That's a happily married wife who, thanks to True.com, is waiting in anticipation for her hubby to return from work so she can pounce on him the moment he opens the door. Can't you tell by the non-mediocre, scantily clad physique?!
I don't know what airlines you're thinking of but let me tell ya... Continental from Hawaii to Guam fed me a hot meal, a deli meal, an icecream sandwich snack, and cookies right before landing!! Sweet! PLUS... we even got to watch an educational video on how to put on an oxygen mask. AND, the captain even flew the plane so it felt like we were on a roller coaster ride. And, unlike roller coasters... we got FREE vomit bags! Had I not finished the many snacks I was given I would've used the free vomit bag to bag up my goodies for later. Hahaha... now THAT would've been fantastic.
1) So you're telling me that the woman is not agoraphobic, rather she's locked in her house by her jealous husband who won't allow other men to so much as look at her . . . otherwise, she catches a beating . . . I guess true.com doesn't screen for potential felons, then.
2)Free vomit bags! That's great. I like to call those goodie bags for the flight crew.
Close but no cigar. She is not agoraphobic, true. But, she is also not locked up by a jealous husband.
I'd like to think of her as:
1). EXCITED to see her hard-working husband (please note the lack of clothes).
2). CAUTIOUS.
You see, to go out in such attire would run the risk of felon neighbors raping her. And, with our perfect justice system, it is safe to guess that her hard-working husband would be wrongly accused of spousal abuse and thrown in prison. There he will suffer daily episodes of butt rape. This being known, it is understandable why she is peeking out from the blinds.
BUT, thanks to True.com she can make sure her husband is not already married before she marries him AND she can screen her dateless neighbors to see if they are felons previously convicted of rape. Killing two birds with one stone... thanks True.com!
Post a Comment
<< Home