The youth of America
I'm sitting in a coffee shop reading for Intellectual Property and these kids, looking rather punky sit next to me. I thought they would be annoying until I heard them doing the Chinese restaurant skit from the Fugees album The Score (1996). It's hilarious and was one of my favorites when I was in High School:
Goes something like this:
There's an ordering misunderstanding...the two members of the Fugees start confusing their orders...
Proprietor: "The two of you...at once...okay then, you want beef."
Wyclef (I think): "Nah, we want beef to eat, we ain't got no beef!"
Proprietor: "Alright, I'll kick your asses my f****** self"
Which he then proceeds to do.
Aparently, this now qualifies as a "classic" hip hop album. That also means I'm old (it's cold and there are wolves after me).
Turns out these kids are seventeen. And they are, in fact, a bunch of punks, but the good kind. They remind me of my own friends growing up. They went from talking smack about each other to criticizing Bush's visit to China. It was a great mix of youthful indescretion, profanity, complaining, threats, and news review that only some teenagers can pull off. They were fairly loud, slightly obnoxious, and really smart and witty...everything you want in a kid.
The future looks a little less dim.
Goes something like this:
There's an ordering misunderstanding...the two members of the Fugees start confusing their orders...
Proprietor: "The two of you...at once...okay then, you want beef."
Wyclef (I think): "Nah, we want beef to eat, we ain't got no beef!"
Proprietor: "Alright, I'll kick your asses my f****** self"
Which he then proceeds to do.
Aparently, this now qualifies as a "classic" hip hop album. That also means I'm old (it's cold and there are wolves after me).
Turns out these kids are seventeen. And they are, in fact, a bunch of punks, but the good kind. They remind me of my own friends growing up. They went from talking smack about each other to criticizing Bush's visit to China. It was a great mix of youthful indescretion, profanity, complaining, threats, and news review that only some teenagers can pull off. They were fairly loud, slightly obnoxious, and really smart and witty...everything you want in a kid.
The future looks a little less dim.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home